Celebrate Harvest Season With Good Things That Grow In Ontario
|Fresh Crepes at Ontario Farmers' Markets|
Many Ontario resorts specialise in culinary getaways with menus featuring Ontario recipes served with Ontario wines, ciders and beers.
Visit a local farm such as McLean Berry Farm in the Kawartha Lakes
Here are some other helpful ways for making locally grown goods a part of your summer months:
- Look for delicious fresh fruits and vegetables available now.
- Find some great barbecue tips using fresh local ingredients.
- Meet the people who produce your food and discover the wide variety of local food products available, including world-class Ontario VQA wine. Visit a local farmer's market or find a local on-farm market.
- Choose Ontario-brewed craft beer and cider to complement your next outdoor party
Fresh Virgin Sunflower Oil from Simcoe County Farms
ONTARIO FOOD FACTS
- Ontario’s agri-food industry contributes more than $34 billion to the province’s GDP and supports more than 740,000 jobs.
- There are over 200 farmers’ markets in Ontario some of which are featuring VQA wines from local wineries.
- Ontario’s flower and vegetable greenhouse industry accounts for approximately $1.34 billion of revenue.
- The province’s Local Food Act allows Ontario to work with sector partners to set targets and goals to increase awareness, access and sales of local food in markets, schools, cafeterias, grocery stores and restaurants throughout the province.
- Since 2003, the province has invested more than $116 million to support sales of Ontario foods.